Sunday, January 30, 2011

Finally Introducing Macy Jane

As noted in the Christmas post, my Christmas present was a puppy. I've been talking about getting a miniature dachshund for over a year. John has always said "no we are not getting a dog!". I took that as not never but at a later date, maybe when we're a little more settled. About mid November he got really excited about my Christmas present and just kept asking me if I wanted to know what it was. Of course I kept saying "no", and started thinking that he was a little too excited for it to be a panini maker, immersion blender or some other sort of kitchen gadget which is pretty much all I ever ask for. Some of you may know that John talks in his sleep. It usually doesn't make enough sense for me to even remember what he said the next morning. On one particular night he was having a hard time sleeping and got up again for a while. Later that same night I woke up (I have been a very light sleeper ever since I became a mother) to him talking. What did he say you ask? I'm not sure I remember the exact words but it was something like this, (he first sat up on the edge of the bed as if having a conversation with someone) "I can't wait to pick up the little guy, I can't believe it worked out." That was it. I don't usually read into anything he says in his sleep but this time I did. I rolled over to go back to sleep and then it hit me, "oh my goodness, he's getting me a puppy for Christmas!" I was going to just not say anything, try and wait out the surprise but I couldn't. The next morning I told him I thought I knew what my Christmas present was, that he had talked in his sleep. He suddenly looked concerned and wanted to know what he had said. He did confess that yes I was getting a puppy and that the reason he couldn't sleep is because he was stressed out trying to figure out how he was going to make the trip to Pennsylvania (5 hrs one way) without me finding out to pick up this puppy. I then told him that there was a breeder here in Mass, he had not come across her in her search, gave her a call and she had three puppies ready to go. We headed out that evening and came back with a 15 week old puppy. It was nice to have a slightly older puppy. She could get through the night without having to go out and pretty much had all the shots needed in the first year. So here she is, Macy Jane!
We all love little Macy. John and I have never considered ourselves dog people but we've decided that we are Macy people. Though the middle of winter in New England is not the ideal time for house breaking a dog, she's doing really well and rarely has accidents in the house. She's good with the kids, though a little nervous of them still when they're being crazy (I would be too). She follows me around all day and will do anything for a little praise from me. She loves to snuggle and settles right down on my lap any time I have a minute to sit down (or John's lap if mine is not available:)

4 comments:

Kristen said...

I love how you figured out you were getting the puppy...too funny!!! She is a cute little dog.

Abby Metz said...

That is one adorable dog. You are so much more brave than I! I just don't think I could handle cleaning up after one more cute, little thing right now! ;)

Deidre said...

I laughed out loud more than once Tamsen. I had no idea the dog was a surprise that got ruined by sleep talking. Too funny. Cute puppy.

Marie said...

I didn't know John talked in his sleep. I bet that has made for a few funny moments.

Macy Jane is adorable. I'm not totally against getting a dog; I had one as a child and loved it, but it is going to have to wait until I'm done my babies first. I'm only cleaning up after one messy ankle biter at a time!