
Minneapolis Minnesota. What?! I bet you never knew that the Midwest was on my top 10 list of places to live. Okay it never has been, but sometimes when an opportunity is dropped in your lap, you have to take and run with it.
It all began with a message October 11th (yes, only 12 days ago) from John's cousin Ryan. Ryan is currently finishing up his prosthodontic residency at UMN. In this message he told John that there was an opening into the residency program for next year and wondered if he was interested and if so he needed to act immediately. I told John I would be good with whatever his decision was. Over the next couple days he went back and forth about it. He wanted to make sure it was really what he wanted to do. Up until this point, he was happy with the idea of being a general dentist and we weren't considering any specialty. After checking out the school's website, it really did look like a good program and a great opportunity, and of all the specialties he could pursue, prosth would be the one. (For those unfamiliar with what a prosthodontist does, they do crowns, implants etc. Basically prosthetics for the mouth). It was a very tough decision for him to make in such a short amount of time but he decided he wanted to move forward with the application process. By Sunday night the application was complete and emailed to the directer (thank goodness for a wife that ordered two sets of all transcripts the last time just to have an extra set on hand:)
Monday morning John told me as he was heading out the door that they wanted him to come for an interview later in the week. Plane tickets were purchased and he was on his way early Thursday morning. John began to get anxious about the interview and this is when he realized that he was anxious because he decided it's what he really wants. He was to go in for his interview Friday morning and had been told that it would take a good portion of the day. I received a phone call from him in the late afternoon informing me that he was all done. I asked him how it had gone. He said, "I was interviewed with a couple other applicants but it went well.....I'm in". Well that completely caught me off guard, I thought he was trying to trick me, I mean don't you have to wait at least a few days for a decision to be made? He assured me that he was not joking, that they had immediately taken him into the directors office and handed him a contract.
We feel great about this new adventure and are excited. It does mean another three years of living the life of students but since we as a family don't know any different, what's a few more years? We've heard great things about Minnesota, which should get me through the cold winters:) The best part for me (besides John being so excited) is knowing where we're headed next!
9 comments:
Yay!! That's so exciting!! I can't believe that all happened so fast!
You'll love the Midwest - it is way more welcoming than Boston. We'll have to meet up when we go back home for visits!
congratulations!!!!
Wow! Congratulations John!!! So excited that he has really found what it is he wants to do! Good luck in Minnesota!!!
wow! I did NOT see that coming! congrats you guys! I bet that feels soo good to have a plan! and now you're one step closer to Oregon... hehe.
What a great story! So cool that you got location and career plans in the same week. I love how it all plays out so well before you even know what has happened. I'm sure you guys will make it awesome wherever you go. MN will be lucky to have you.
I love how God works sometimes. The future seems so unsure and at times unclear, then everything just falls into place. Congrats to John on his schooling and career plan. Congrats to you and good luck. Yes the winters will be harsh but I know you will make it work!
Congratulations!!! I've heard nothing but good things about Minnesota!
Whoa girl! I guess I didn't get my plug for Texas in soon enough. :) So exciting and wonderful to have a plan - now you can start cruising the web for the house, the schools, the neighborhoods, etc. Yay! Chris
Well, that is some big news! Congratulations, John! You must have really turned on the charm to get them to sign you up on the spot! And have fun in Minnesota. I can't wait to hear about your adventures.
PS: Dirk says, "Wow, that is great."
Post a Comment