Aiden has been greatly anticipating his birthday since Abby's birthday in May. He knew his birthday wasn't until after we moved to Boston, so ever since we got here he's been asking if he's 4 yet. So the 17th rolled around and he knew his birthday was the next day. That evening we were in the car, driving to pick up John from the subway station and he was being unusually quiet and to be completely honest it was kind of nice so I decided not to question him. Then, suddenly he spoke, "I think when I go to sleep tonight that I will dream about my birthday, cause I think that's what happens when someone has a birthday." I'm glad he started to talk again, because it was so cute. He was obviously thinking very intensely about this idea. The next day arrived and he was very excited to be 4. We went to the dollar store to get some paper plates etc. for his party that was to be on Sat. He saw the party hats and asked if he could have some, so off and on for the rest of the day, he and Abby wandered around the house wearing these hats. Here he is talking to Auntie Jen on the phone.

And Abby, with Aiden very excited in the background.

Later that night he was able to stay up late so he could talk to Grandma, he opened a few gifts and we had cupcakes, as the cake was being prepared for Saturday's party. Here is a video clip of him with his tiny cupcake.
And playing with the ferry boat that he got from Grandma and Grandpa.
Here he is blowing out the candles on his real cake.
Now, about the cake. Aiden had requested several times that he have a chocolate cake with a road on it (as he is obsessed with cars). He loves the old school micro machines that his Grandma gave him so I decided to get some more from ebay to put on the cake. Wanting to attempt fondant, I got online to find out how to make it and came across a recipe for marshmallow fondant. It was pretty simple to make and use. I was pretty proud of the outcome, it's not perfect but I worked hard on it and most importantly Aiden was happy with it. I even made some piranha plants (from Mario cart, Aiden calls them "eating guys" and he gets very excited every time he passes them in the game).


4 comments:
Wow! Fondant, huh? That's some talent! So what are you making to go on my birthday cake? ; )
That is such a great cake! I'm totally impressed. I didn't know those flower guys from Mario had names. I always thought they were that plant from 'little shop of horrors.'
Happy Birthday Aiden!
Wow! The cake looks GREAT! Did you make the pirhana plants out of fondant too?! I still like the practice round with the mini cupcake though - that was hilarious! Parker's also been totally obsessed with his coming birthday - so much fun!
Wow that cake is amazing!! How is Boston treating you? Sure you can add our blogg if we can add yours.
Post a Comment