Here he is holding his chore chart, money value chart, and new car bank that he got from his friend Boston for his Birthday (he even got to paint and decorate it himself!).
Monday, September 29, 2008
The Orange Horse
As crazy as a 4 year old getting an allowance sounds, Aiden has been getting one for about a month now. This is a way to encourage him to do simple things around the house like put his toys away, clearing his dishes and making his bed. It's also an attempt to make my life a little easier, as things like be nice to Abby, don't wine and listen to mom are all also on the chart. It also means that he doesn't bug me to buy a new car every time we go to Walmart because he knows he can save his own money. He's also learning what the worth of a penny, a nickel, a dime and a quarter are and how much he needs to by a car (of the hot wheels variety of course). One day we pulled into the parking lot of a convenience store near our house to turn around. I had previously taken him there (only once, a couple months ago) to get him a treat. He instantly said, "why are we at the treat store?" We explained to him we were just turning around, but a whole conversation about treat stores had begun. John told him that he used to love going to the treat store when he was little and suggested that he and Aiden go to that store some time and he could use some of his money to buy a treat. Then I told him that when I was a little girl, I would walk to a treat store close to my house and that the store was called the Red Rooster. He didn't even stop to think, he just said, "I think the treat store we go to is called the Orange Horse. John and I just looked at each other and started to laugh. So now the convenience store down the street (actually Jenny's Market) is now refered to as "The Orange Horse". John and Aiden did take a walk to the store this past Sat. and Aiden bought a big long roll of candies and upon leaving the store announced, "when we get home I will share these with everbody!" I love that kid!
Here he is holding his chore chart, money value chart, and new car bank that he got from his friend Boston for his Birthday (he even got to paint and decorate it himself!).
Here he is holding his chore chart, money value chart, and new car bank that he got from his friend Boston for his Birthday (he even got to paint and decorate it himself!).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
That's a riot! I'll try to remember to ask Aiden about his chores chart during the next playgroup.
You know, my sister who has 7 kids does a thing with beans in a jar. Good behavior and completion of chores equals beans. Poor behavior and lack of effort means beans get taken away. At the end of the month the beans are traded for real $$$ but the kids can see just by looking at their jars where they sand for the month. I haven't had the ability to test the program myself (my own Aiden is a little young still) but my sister's used the program for close to 10 years and it's still working!
The Orange Horse! I love it!
He has a friend named Boston who lives in Boston? Poor kid. I guess that is better than naming your kid Chillewack or Ninimo, but still!
They didn't live in Boston when they named him Boston:)
Hahahahaaha! So funny! Shaun also grew up with a Red Rooster, his Dad called it the "Communist Chicken." Shaun and I were just talking about getting a little more structured with Parker surrounding money. Right now if he cleans the mirror when I clean the house he gets a "chore money" and will put some into his mission bank and sometimes will take a little walk over to our "treat store" (Green's pop shop), but I haven't really been very consistent with it, or done alot of teaching about money values yet - so we need to start, and start including tithing too. I also liked that you included "being nice to Abby," on his chore list, Parker could use some more encouragement in this department too!
Post a Comment