Now even though I love to cook, once in a while I have a day that I just don't feel like doing it. Often it's mostly because the thought of cleaning up afterwards makes me cringe. I am lucky enough to have a husband who will on occasion jump in and come up with something to make. This usually consists of some sort of pasta with cream sauce and he's good at it. About a week ago, I had one of these days. John went to work cooking up some pasta with a chicken cream sauce and headed down to the garden to grab some carrots and broccoli to add to it. As he was prepping I discovered a small caterpillar on the cutting board with the broccoli at which point I asked, "did you wash this broccoli?". He said he had but I wasn't completely convinced and pointed out the caterpillar and suggested he wash the broccoli again. We sat down to eat and it was really good, one of his best ever. I had only a few bites left when I saw it, a small caterpillar stuck to a piece of broccoli, GROSS! I just managed to get the last couple of bites down (none of which was broccoli). Shortly after that Aiden picked another one off a piece of broccoli on his plate. Looking quite distraught he placed it on his place mat (or replace mat as he calls it). Abby wide eyed exclaims, "it's getting away!" After assuring her it was dead Aiden announced, "I miss Mom's cooking." As disgusting as this all sounds we got a good laugh out of it and we still laugh every time we talk about it. A memorable meal in deed:) And now for a few pictures of our gardening successes.
A salad made completely of vegetables from our garden.

I put the loonie (for our American friends that is a Canadian dollar, slightly larger than a quarter) next to the tomatoes so you could get an idea of the size. Nothing better than fresh tomatoes.

Abby with a bunch of lettuce and Aiden with a bunch of carrots.

Abby on another day showing off a bunch of carrots.

I put the loonie (for our American friends that is a Canadian dollar, slightly larger than a quarter) next to the tomatoes so you could get an idea of the size. Nothing better than fresh tomatoes.
Abby with a bunch of lettuce and Aiden with a bunch of carrots.

Abby on another day showing off a bunch of carrots.
4 comments:
Nice Job you guys!! I really do love home grown veggies and fruit, I just wish more things grew in Vegas. P.S I like the caterpillar story.
The garden looks amazing! I keep showing my grandma yours posts and she loves that such a cute family lives in that house!
Mmm, bugs :)
Wow, great gardening!! Hahaha, loved the caterpillar story! It reminds me of a time I decided to eat some cherries from a neighbour's tree when I was a kid. I got through about 10 or so, and then discovered half a white worm in the one that was in my hand (by deduction, I realized I had eaten the other half). I just about puked! After that I started breaking each cherry open before I ate it, and every single one had a worm in it. Blech!!! I'm still very cautious of cherries to this day.
Post a Comment